[Catalyst] Auto_increment in MS SQL

Ascii King tech at swattermatter.com
Fri May 29 19:48:15 GMT 2009

I have my Catalyst system hooked up to a MS SQL Server (thanks
Johannes), but I am running into a problem with the auto_increment system.

It seems that MS SQL server uses something called an IDENTITY column to
do it's auto incrementing. This is fine and I have it set up and
working. However, when I try to write something to a table other then
the first table accessed, I get an error with the Identity locking. It
wants me to lock the table, then write to it and then unlock it.

How do you guys get around this problem? Should I just give up on the
auto_increment and write a function to do it myself? Is there a proper
way to do it?