[Catalyst] Language selection in URLs

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Mon Nov 16 12:35:26 GMT 2009

2009/11/16 Pedro Melo <melo at simplicidade.org>:
> So yes, please use content negotiation be default, but leave the door open
> to explicit addressing to specific representations of a resource to be used
> when content negotiation is not an option.

Absolutely. I agree with this entirely. But these are mechanisms to
express in the application layer that the representation that the UA
requests of the resource differs from those the UA claims to accept.
Where the browser is able to express what it wants, we should listen
to it. We should not default to expressing in the application layer
what is ignored in the protocol layer.

> IMHO, it is not a mistake to add such alternative addresses.

I agree. The operative word here is "alternative" -- these are ways to
address a resource other than the canonical URI + request headers, and
one ought to strive to remove these where practical.

/joel