[Catalyst] Avoiding UTF8 in Catalyst

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Nov 23 15:42:06 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Marc SCHAEFER <schaefer at alphanet.ch> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 05:16:24PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
>> > Apparently all diacritic characters are expanded into HTML entities.
>>
>> Where does that happen?
>
> It looks like it's TT::View's htmlentity which does this, not just for
> <> and friends.  It's not a big issue for me. Maybe it could even be
> parametered.

Still not following.   You are talking about Catalyst::View::TT?

BTW -- when looking at C::V::TT I see where you got that DEFAULT_ENCODING
from -- it's documented in C::V::TT.

As far as I know there's no such setting in Template Toolkit.  There's
"ENCODING" to specify the encoding of your templates.

If your templates are 8859-1 with 8 bit characters my suggestion would be to
convert them to utf-8 and set ENCODING to utf8 for the templates, and move
toward utf8 everywhere.    Make sure you use the plugin to decode and
encode.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org