[Catalyst] How to reduce the memory footprint?

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Mon Nov 23 22:39:39 GMT 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Julien Sobrier wrote:

> I run 5 instances of FastCGI. Each instance was taking about 90MB of memory.
> I tried to reduce the memory fooprint by reducing the number of libraries I
> used. The memory usage is now 120MB per instance! The memory increase is
> probably due to other changes.

If you can, take a look at smem (http://www.selenic.com/smem/) to see how
much memory these procs are _really_ using.

This tool looks at how much memory is shared between procs and gives you a
much better sense of how much memory it costs _per process_.

But you need to be on a relatively recent Linux kernel to use it.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)