[Catalyst] Deployment in practice

Ash Berlin ash_cpan at firemirror.com
Sun Oct 11 11:10:28 GMT 2009

On 11 Oct 2009, at 11:59, Octavian Râsnita wrote:

> From: "dab" <dab at catapulse.org>
>>> Thank you all for your answers. It was very helpful.
>>> What about the database? If starting from a certain revision you
>>> need
>>> to make some database changes (adding tables, adding/deleting some
>>> table fields) how can we automate this?
>>>
>>> I mean, I think that we could run a script that add some tables and
>>> remove the unneeded fields from other tables, but if something goes
>>> wrong and we need to go back to the previous version, we would need
>>> the records from those fields.
>>>
>>> What can we do in these situations? Do the database update and the
>>> tests manually? Or back-up the entire database and then test the
>>> latest version of the app?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Octavian
>>
>> DBIx::Class::Schema::Versioned perhaps ?
>>
>> Dab
>
> I don't know... Does anyone use it?
>
> I read in its POD docs that "At the moment, only SQLite and MySQL
> are supported.", however in the past I've seen that when creating
> MySQL queries from a DBIC schema, some fields were wrongly created,
> including the size when not needed, like
> date date(10),
> so they should be corrected manually. Because of this, I don't know
> if this tool can be used for do the change automaticly...
> (Or was this issue solved since then?)
>
> Octavian

refactoring

Schema::Versioned uses SQL::Translator under the hood to do its job.
Work has been done to make SQL::T v1 better, and as part of this years
Google Summer of Code, Justin Hunter was the internals to make it
easier to fix problems. So the problems should either be fixed
already, or be fixed soon.

-ash