[Catalyst] Debian recommendation

Octavian Râşniţă orasnita at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 16:09:54 GMT 2009

From: "J. Shirley" <jshirley at gmail.com>
> Hi,
>
> I've seen a recommendation on this list for Debian for running perl apps,
> and recently I started to use this distro.
>
> I've seen that I can install perl modules very hard under Debian if I use
> the CPAN shell.
> For example if I run
>
> $ cpan
> cpan> install Class::MOP
>
> it gives an "Unknown error" and it doesn't want to install and the same
> with Catalyst::Runtime.
>
> But if I do then
>
> cpan> look ModuleName
> $ perl Makefile.PL
> $ make
> $ make test
> $make install
>
> I can install the modules without problem (usually).
> However, I need to manually install each dependency.
>
> I've seen this strange thing under 2 Debian systems so I think it is not a
> Debian bug.
>
> Does this happen to you? If yes, how do you solve it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Octavian

My Debian steps are:

(as root)
1. Upgrade CPAN (Bundle::CPAN)
2. Upgrade CPANPLUS
3. Upgrade/Install Module::Install
4. Upgrade/Install Module::Build
5. Install local::lib

(as app user)
6. Install deps for application

I've never had a problem with things not building doing this, but haven't
tried other ways.

-J

I guess your installing the deps for the application using local::lib,
right?

Good idea. Is there a way of using Makefile.PL of the application to
automaticly install all the dependencies using local::lib?

Thanks.

Octavian