[Catalyst] Debian recommendation

Octavian Râşniţă orasnita at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 16:13:29 GMT 2009

From: "Juan Miguel Paredes" <juan.paredes at gmail.com>
> I can install the modules without problem (usually).
> However, I need to manually install each dependency.
>
> I've seen this strange thing under 2 Debian systems so I think it is not a
> Debian bug.
>
> Does this happen to you? If yes, how do you solve it?

Hi, Octavian.

Are you running cpan with root or a normal user account? Under a
non-root account, it would be advisable to install and use local::lib,
maintaining your own directory of perl modules under your home
directory. Some modules would be better installed with the distro
package manager (aptitude / apt-get), like Module::Install. In all,
Debian and Ubuntu have worked pretty well for me.

I have tried to install them using the root account, but it seems to be a
good idea to install them using local::lib, because I could easier copy to
another similar system.

I've seen that I can install the modules very easy with cpanp under Debian,
so it is not a big issue that cpan doesn't work under this distro very well,
but I will try to find more about installing the modules using local::lib.

Octavian