[Catalyst] Debian recommendation

Evan Carroll lists at evancarroll.com
Mon Oct 26 23:37:52 GMT 2009

>> they're not published under the same namespaces, they
>> don't change version numbers, and they're hardly sound improvements.

That was supposed to read they're *not* published under different namespaces.

> The difference between a troll and a critique
> Citations and references.

Fair enough, I've worked on these two bugs extensively before I came
to the conclusion teaching good practice to people who use bad
justification is pointless.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libio-compress-zlib-perl/+bug/394481
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libxml-sax-perl/+bug/13917

I've also done some work fixing cpanplus bugs where cpanplus will act
radically different than cpan

I've also tried arguing this in the irc chans, it comes down to an
unwillingness and apathetic attitude to do it right. Debian *wants* to
changes the way modules they didn't create interact with the system.
It is just asking for problems unless they have total control over
CPAN. They don't, therefore CPAN is unsupported and your apt
repository has got to be good enough.

--
Evan Carroll
System Lord of the Internets