[Catalyst] Debian recommendation

Evan Carroll lists at evancarroll.com
Tue Oct 27 22:18:32 GMT 2009

> My rule is that many XS-type modules are better installed with the
> distro's packages DBI, and the DBDs are examples of this. The rest of
> the Catalyst packages I install with CPAN and have yet to run into any
> problems. I have been using Debian since 2.0 and Catalyst since it
> came out.

Well -- There is certainly no reason for that other than maybe not
having to worry about the hastle of getting the dev files. The XS
stuff is usually a lot safer to muddle with than the pure perl stuff
simply because the XS learning curve precludes the Debian Perl guys.
Again, they have a strong tendency to mess up clean perl code because
it is easy for them to do so. As was previously mentioned by example
libxml-sax-perl. A lot of Perl people use Debian, I use it. I love
apt/dpkg works great for my needs. I'm by all means an "Ubuntu fanboy"
everyone in family is running it. I simply disapprove of taking
something knowingly breaking it, and publishing it as if nothing
happened.

--
Evan Carroll
System Lord of the Internets