[Catalyst] Debian recommendation

Evan Carroll lists at evancarroll.com
Wed Oct 28 15:44:00 GMT 2009

> Please don't feed the trolls.

Point well taken, good one, mature.

> Evan's typical MO is to take a single example and convert it into a grossly
> inflammatory statement.  Whether it is intentional or not is irrelevant, but
> it usually ends up with incensing people just like you.

That comes up every now and then, so I'll assume it is at least party
me; but, I just would rather it not be ok to package something in such
a fashion as to cause numerous problems (evidenced by the 20 something
bugs on Launchpad, and probably 10 bugs on bugs.debian) -- for the
same reason I'd be less inclined to use a module on CPAN if I knew it
had adverse effects. Forking a module isn't even socially OK,
modifying a namespace of something you don't own is a visceral Perl
sin.

ardo at debian.org (2002)
"We don't have a policy about Debian and CPAN to coexist.  This
certainly doesn't mean they should not, but it's not a requirement at
this point in time.  Please bring this issue up at the debian-perl
mailing list. [...] So, unfortunately this is hopefully one of the
rare occasions where Debian and CPAN cannot coexist out of the box.
[...] If you install software under /usr/local which also is already
available under /usr and made to work within the Debian framework,
you're probably in for more situations like this."

I don't think I'm being hostile here. But I would like to add however
axillary to the conversation these Debian patches are not always
flawless

> This is why he's banned nearly everywhere he goes.

Ouch, got me again champ! That's what I like about you, you keep it
quick and personal!

--
Evan Carroll
System Lord of the Internets