[Catalyst] Catalyst benchmark 5.7 VS 5.8

Carl Johnstone catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk
Tue Sep 29 08:44:33 GMT 2009

Tobias Kremer wrote:
> So, what's a better way to find out how much memory is shared? On our
> production servers "top" shows
>
> VIRT: 70116,  RES: 64m, SHR: 3480
>
> and I hope that 3480 is really not the amount of memory that is shared
> because that'd be quite low.

It's a different type of shared. That's amount of memory used through shared
OS libraries.

What everybody else in this thread is referring to as "shared" memory is
actually the amount of memory that hasn't needed to be duplicated because of
the copy-on-write semantics within the Linux kernel. Unfortunately there's
currently no easy way I know of to get these figures on Linux.

Carl