[Catalyst] Catalyst benchmark 5.7 VS 5.8

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Tue Sep 29 11:41:06 GMT 2009

Tobias Kremer wrote:
> and I hope that 3480 is really not the amount of memory that is shared
> because that'd be quite low.

Shared memory indicates things which are shared at a library linking
level (e.g. libc is a shared object which both processes will share).

This has nothing to do with the copy-on-write memory which is shared.
(I.e. your parent process loads the application, then calls fork - each
process sees 'its own copy' of all the RAM, but only pages written to
are copied - the rest remain "shared").

Cheers
t0m