[Catalyst] [Beginner] How to get 'Chained' to work`?

Johannes Kilian jo.kilian at gmx.de
Thu Apr 15 12:24:10 GMT 2010

Hi there,

I'm pretty at the beginning of understanding how catalyst works - and
have a problem to figure out the chaining mechanism ...

I've got a simple basic catalyst project with only the root controller -
containing the following code:

---
sub base_method : Chained('/') PathPart('test') CaptureArgs(0) {
  my ( $self, $c ) = @_;
  $c->log->debug("Matched testIt::Controller::Root::base_method");
}

sub view : Chained('base_method') PathPart('') CaptureArgs(1) {
  my ( $self, $c, $id) = @_;
  $c->log->debug("Matched testIt::Controller::Root::view - id:<$id>");
}
---
(I just commented out the default-Function in the Root-Controller and
put the above lines in ...)

Starting my server (testIt_server.pl) gives the following output:
---
.----------------------------------------------------------+----------.
| Class                                                    | Type     |
+----------------------------------------------------------+----------+
| testIt::Controller::Root                                 | instance |
'----------------------------------------------------------+----------'

[debug] Loaded Private actions:
.----------------------+-------------------------------+--------------.
| Private              | Class                         | Method       |
+----------------------+-------------------------------+--------------+
| /base_method         | testIt::Controller::Root      | base_method  |
| /end                 | testIt::Controller::Root      | end          |
| /view                | testIt::Controller::Root      | view         |
'----------------------+-------------------------------+--------------'

[debug] Loaded Chained actions:
.-------------------------------+--------------------------------------.
| Path Spec                     | Private                              |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
'-------------------------------+--------------------------------------'
---

Why are there no entries in the table "[debug] Loaded Chained actions"?

Running the test-server using address "http://pcjok:3000/test/1" (which
I suppose to work) leads to "Unknown resource "test/1""...

What's wrong?
(Running ActiveState Perl 5.8.8, Catalyst 5.80012 on WinXP SP2 - for
some reasons I'm bound to this environment ...)

Any help welcome!
Thanks in advance ..
Jo