[Catalyst] Alternatives to DBIx?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 15:32:49 GMT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Lyle <webmaster at cosmicperl.com> wrote:
> Personally I think DBIx::Class is the biggest load of crock out there. It's
> much slower, awkward to use, time consuming to learn, and as soon as you try
> to do some complicated queries you'll end up dropping it anyway. ORMs simply
> cannot work in the long run:-
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/06/object-relational-mapping-is-the-vietnam-of-computer-science.html
>
> I found SQL::DB recently, which looks interesting to me, but haven't had
> chance to work with it yet. It might be what you are looking for.
>

> Lyle

Way to be respectful of the hard work of other people, and the
successes they've had.

All your points are subjective and some are just wrong.

It's much slower than what?
Time consuming to learn?  How's that?  If you already know SQL, sure.
If you don't, DBIC is probably much faster.
Complicated Queries?  Sorry, but I run *massively* complicated
reporting queries (using custom result sources, no "real" objects) and
it spits out a series of *very* advanced reports.  It wasn't hard,
took me about 2 hours to get that up and running.

ORMs have their limitation, but to just attack a measurably successful
project with baseless FUD is simply disrespectful.