[Catalyst] Alternatives to Catalyst ?

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 09:57:24 GMT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 09:36, Dermot <paikkos at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 21 April 2010 18:01, J. Shirley <jshirley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> __END__
>> Benchmark: running all, low, sep for at least 1 CPU seconds...
>>       all:  1 wallclock secs ( 1.11 usr +  0.00 sys =  1.11 CPU) @
>> 2917341.44/s (n=3238249)
>>       low:  0 wallclock secs ( 1.27 usr +  0.04 sys =  1.31 CPU) @
>> 12930179.39/s (n=16938535)
>>       sep:  1 wallclock secs ( 1.21 usr +  0.01 sys =  1.22 CPU) @
>> 3223081.15/s (n=3932159)
>>
>> Subroutines suck, lets all use hashrefs.
>
> Now that it's quietened down, I can ask a question. Does this I mean
> it's preferable to use
>
> $c->req->{parameters}->{foo}
>
> rather than
>
> $c->req->param('foo')
>
> Obviously I'd rather use the faster method but if I'm breaking the
> encapsulation in some ways that's going to bite me later, I'd steer
> clear.

"Obviously".

Unless you're doing method calls in a tight loop somewhere in your
code you *shouldn't care about this*. Now I've written code that
actually *did* suffer from method call overhead but since you're just
casually asking it's very unlikely that you're doing the same.

Don't sprinkle premature optimizations around your codebase just
because someone produced a benchmark showing one is faster than the
other. You should be doing *profiling* of your  entire program, not
micro-optimizing something that's likely 0.0001% of its total runtime.