[Catalyst] Alternatives to Catalyst ?

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon Apr 26 20:11:10 GMT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:48, Wade Stuart <wbs at grepit.net> wrote:
> (Replying in general, to the sense of this email which others have related
> too)
>>
>> Dermot, to my reading at least, has been clear twice now that he was
>> asking specifically about how to retrieve parameters -- presumably not
>> coming to a web framework list for an unsolicited computer science
>> lecture on encapsulation...
>>
>> I think it behooves us as a community to afford posters when they
>> clearly articulate a question and context, as Dermot has*, not to
>> treat them as complete noobs. It'd be a shame if folks became
>> reluctant to ask 'simple' questions for fear of half a dozen catalyst
>> old-skoolers delivering a sermon.
>>

> Sorry,  it is akin to someone driving up to you while you are in a gas
> station in a unleaded ford asking very nicely "Do you know where the diesel
> pumps are"?

Except that it isn't:

"Obviously I'd rather use the faster method but if I'm breaking the
encapsulation in some ways that's going to bite me later, I'd steer
clear."

I don't know how much more of an articulate disclaimer you need.

>  The question is literate and well formed but in context implies
> lack of understanding.

Except that he gave context & obvious (to me at least) understanding.

I agree in some situations it's clear the poster is asking something
where they need some steering and/or "XY Problem" but my call is that
we give posters some credit, esp where it's clearly due.

Paul