[Catalyst] Dist::Zilla + Catalyst?

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 14:30:31 GMT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 06:03:15AM -0400, John SJ Anderson wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2010, at 12:10 , Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 15:39, John SJ Anderson <genehack at genehack.org> wrote:
> >> Is anybody using Dist::Zilla in combination with Catalyst? If so, are you just not using it to generate your Makefile.PL or are you working around the issues that presents in some other way?
> >
> > I'm using it for a plugin I have (Catalyst::Plugin::Upload::Digest).
> > What issues are you talking about?
>
> I'm sorry, I thought that the location of 'Home' was set based on the Makefile.PL. Reviewing the documentation, I see a dist.ini file can also serve for that purpose.

However, one of the tenets of Dist::Zilla is that your base directory need
not look anything like the final distribution.

In the case of Catalyst applications, the standard assumption that a checkout
and a final dist look much the same (as is normal for CPAN) is used quite
substantially; so I'd say that in this case Dist::Zilla's philosophical
decision to violate that convention makes it a suboptimal choice.

OTOH, if it works for you, I'm all for you enjoying using it :)

--
        Matt S Trout         Catalyst and DBIx::Class consultancy with a clue
     Technical Director      and a commit bit: http://shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/