[Catalyst] Dist::Zilla + Catalyst?

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 15:29:44 GMT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 03:20:05PM +0000, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 14:30, Matt S Trout <mst at shadowcat.co.uk> wrote:
> > In the case of Catalyst applications, the standard assumption that a checkout
> > and a final dist look much the same (as is normal for CPAN) is used quite
> > substantially; so I'd say that in this case Dist::Zilla's philosophical
> > decision to violate that convention makes it a suboptimal choice.
>
> Thats more a tenet of how Ricardo Signes (the dzil author) likes to
> work than a core assumption of Dist::Zilla.

Fair point; though if you don't use it that way I'm not really convinced
it does anything that Module::Install/etc. doesn't already do just fine.

> There's no reason why Catalyst distros cant work with dzil.ini that I
> can see. Are there hooks available for catalyst.pl so that it can
> generate Dist::Zilla based distros instead of using Module::Install?

The whole thing's generated from templates so far as I'm aware - don't see
why you couldn't (or if it isn't already exposed why it wouldn't given a
trivial patch).

But rather the point of catalyst.pl is that it's "one sane way" to do things.

I stick to the standard layout for most things in apps I work on not because
it's necessarily my favourite, but because it's a common standard that
anybody working on Catalyst apps is going to be familiar with. As Stevan says:

  There's More Than One Way To Do It
  - But Sometimes Consistency Can Be A Good Thing Too ...

--
        Matt S Trout         Catalyst and DBIx::Class consultancy with a clue
     Technical Director      and a commit bit: http://shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/