[Catalyst] [Absolute Beginner] Navigation Q Part II i18n and URIs

Ekki Plicht (DF4OR) ep at plicht.de
Sat Aug 21 01:19:13 GMT 2010

Hi Robert,
your comments were most helpful, many thanks!

As it is so often - after sending the message I did some more thinking and
started to realize that my approach - starting with the controller - is
probably not the best way to design this app.
And your comments encourage me that I have to think about the model much more
and probably first.

What do you charge for a day of consulting? :-) It's time that I visit Hamburg
again...

Some details from your reply:

Am Samstag 21 August 2010, 00:46:14 schrieben Sie:
> Some things to consider:
> · Should the user be able to override the language?

Of course.

> · Do you want to separate language by domain or URI part?

URI part or parameter, undecided.
I have never done this until now, but I want to extract the preferred language
from the header, if set and if supported. If not an app wide default kicks in,
which the user can override later on, this override value is persistent by a
cookie, session racking or some such.

> What would happen if someone who only accepts DE as language requests
> the EN page?

Customer is king, she gets what she wants.

> Browser language detection is pretty easy with the I18N
> plugin, but the implementation of the language logic is dependent on
> what you want to happen.

I will look at that, tnx.

> Both the language and the article to display are variables in the
> process of displaying the page. The language can come from a cookie, the
> browser language setting, a query parameter, the domain name, a part of
> the URI, or multiple of those using the first it can find.
>
> I'd always advise to build the actual business logic of the application
> outside of the web front-end.

Absolutely, that's why I decided to go with Catalyst :-)

> > What I am envisioning is a central file where I (somehow, XML?,
> > database?) maintain a navigation tree (ok, 5 or more), mapping menu
> > entries to URIs. Some process then maps these entries to actions. But
> > how?
>
> As a model. Look at Config::Any (already used by Cat) for loading of
> configuration files. For a database model I'd point you towards
> DBIx::Class, but mostly because of community-size and personal
> preference. There are other solutions, but I feel it is a good start.

Yes, I am already working through some light weight examples with DBIx::Class,
that's most likely the way to go.

[...]

And all the rest, as I said helpful. Many thanks.

Gruß,
Ekki