[Catalyst] Confused: how to handle system-level errors with fallback pages

Stuart Watt swatt at infobal.com
Tue Aug 31 13:27:44 GMT 2010

  On 8/31/2010 6:03 AM, Eden Cardim wrote:
> Have you read Catalyst::Manual::Cookbook?

Yes - that was the first place I looked. Obviously.

As far as I can tell, from observed behaviour and from inspecting the =

code, an error in the prepare phase does not generate any response. I =

simply get an empty reply. I have checked this using curl as well as a =

browser. Errors later on seem to work fine.

The Catalyst::Action dispatch method does use the execute wrapper. =

However, I can find no error protection for the prepare phase. Since =

this issue is caused by a plugin failing during that phase, I get no =

error display through the browser. Tried from curl, I get:

> C:\workspace\ARM>curl http://localhost:3000/index
> curl: (52) Empty reply from server

I suggest this is a serious issue, but I cannot claim to have a strong =

enough grasp of the overall architecture to suggest how to resolve it =

successfully.

--S

Stuart Watt
ARM Product Developer