[Catalyst] Not cleaning up temporary files / HTTP::Body

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Jan 13 14:53:22 GMT 2010

HTTP::Body::Multipart creates temporary files for uploads.  The temp files
are created with File::Temp( UNLINK =3D> 1 ).

Catalyst then deletes these temp files in $c->finalize.  The problem is that
an exception can happen and then the temp files are not deleted.
Happens quite often, it turns out.  I seem to always see this in the logs at
the time of the orphaned temp file:

Caught exception in engine "Apache2::RequestIO::read: (104) Connection reset
by peer

Aborting an upload isn't that unusual.

I can set temp directory for these uploads and use cron to clean them out,
but I wonder if they could not be cleaned up better automatically.

For example, unlink in DESTROY when the request object goes out of scope.
Or perhaps better, don't have HTTP::Body set UNLINK =3D> 1 by default and w=
hen
the upload object finally goes out of scope File::Temp will remove the temp
file. HTTP::Body explicitly removes the File::Temp object from the upload
part, but I'm not sure why it needs to do that.   Why not leave the
File::Temp object in the upload part object then let it go out of scope at
the end of the request.

Where should this be addressed?  In Catalyst or in HTTP::Body?

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org