[Catalyst] "Fat Model" Methodology?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 19:52:56 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net> wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2010, at 18:36, Rodrigo wrote:
>>
>> So ideally I would like to have DB entities represented by a single Moose
>> class, rather than in 2 or more places. For that there's KiokuDB and
>> MooseX::NonMoose-- the latter should allow a moose class to inherit from a
>> DBIC class. Haven't tried neither, though.
>
> You can just use Moose in your DBIC classes..
>
> You end up double declaring stuff (which is non optimum), and Moose comes
> after DBIC (as you replace the simple dbic accessors with more complex Moose
> stuff), but it works fine..

I haven't tried this yet, but just had the idea of using
MooseX::Role::Parameterized to fetch the column info and create the
Moose accessors in a role based on what is defined.

Then, just define an extra type that corresponds to a Moose type, or
just some basic rules (varchar/char => Str, etc)

__PACKAGE__->add_columns( 'foo' => { datatype => 'varchar', extra => {
type => 'Str' } } );

I've been meaning to give this a play and see if it works... thoughts?

-J