[Catalyst] Where is the form field lost?

Octavian Râşniţă orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 06:08:56 GMT 2010

From: "Charlie Garrison" <garrison at zeta.org.au>
On 24/01/10 at 10:47 PM +0200, Octavian Rasnita
<orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:

>I made a InflateColumn::FileUpload inflator similar to InflateColumn::File,
>which also works with HTML::FormFu and it has an additional feature.

> I had some problems with InflateColumn::File a few weeks ago which were
> going to be hard for me to work around. I asked about it on IRC and was
> told *not* to use the broken InflateColumn::File and use InflateColumn::FS
> instead.

Can you tell about those problems? I hope I won't create them in the
inflator I want to create.

> Not only did InflateColumn::FS resolve my main issue; it also fixed a
> couple of frustrating niggles. I found InflateColumn::FS to be more robust
> all around.

I have also tried InflateColumn::FS but the thing I don't like is that it
creates random directories and this is good from a security point of view,
but for ease of use I like the way InflateColumn::File create the target
dirs.

With InflateColumn::File the original file name is also used when it is
stored on the disk, and I just need to put a link to that static file,
without needing to create a column for storing the MIME type of the file and
without needing to use code for getting the file and giving it to those that
request it.
If it is possible to do that with InflateColumn::FS, please tell me.

> If you're going to upload an HTML::FF inflator module tp CPAN, I suggest
> making it work with InflateColumn::FS instead (or at least in addition to
> InflateColumn::File).

I have tried that with InflateColumn::File, but without success, but in any
case, the most important changes were to make it work with HTML::FormFu and
to be able to do all the operations to the file (add/modify/delete), and for
beeing able to also do the delete, I need to be able to get the file upload
field even if it is empty.

Octavian