[Catalyst] Using Catalyst with mod_per or FastCGI on heavy traffic web application

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Jan 30 15:30:30 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Adam Mackler <nabble at mackler.org> wrote:

> But with mod_perl, when you're restarting your application, you're
> starting the whole web server, so during that time...which can be
> longer than you expect for a number of reasons...people attempting to
> reach your site will get browser errors saying your site is down or
> unreachable.

> But with fastcgi, the web server keeps running and can serve a static
> error page while the fastcgi server is not available.  And with no
> perl in the mix, restarting the web server itself takes less time and
> can be done more gracefully.

That makes no sense. If fastcgi processes are down, then, well they are
down.  If all your mod_perl servers are down, they are, well, down.

Maybe you are assuming the Apache that is running mod_perl also serves
static content?  Or that there's only one web server? Or there's no load
balancer?  Or it's not run with a reverse proxy as is the standard approach?

We found that restarting with FastCGI took longer.  Maybe that was because
each process has to compile the app (instead of compile and fork to many
processes?).  Is that true?  I can't remember.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org