[Catalyst] crud example not working

Steve steve at matsch.com
Mon Jul 26 16:15:24 GMT 2010

On 7/26/2010 11:41 AM, Marc Gamontini wrote:
> Thanks you for your answer.
> But you're right, the module ..is in its directory. I'm going to check
> the package declaration.
> I wondered if my team (a java one) could use Catalyst in a production
> env, but we're not ready. A lot of examples don't work (from the first
> and the second books we bought). I discovered the last erratas on the
> apress site : is it possible to get a full (+edit) DBAuth example that
> works ? It would be nice to remove, for "simple" CRUD examples, the
> authentication layer and get working code with *stable* conventions,
> at least for new comers like us ! It is *very* difficult to start
> Catalyst Tutorials from cpan on other distribs (Debian is ok, but we
> don't use it here). Catalyst is an elegant one, but hard to master (?!).
Being a new comer to Catalyst myself, I've had similar experiences.  I
will say that we were all warned that the learning curve was substantial
(I'm referring to the Definitive Guide to Catalyst).  Over the past year
I have had to put off things that I *wanted* to do because I didn't
quite understand enough about the underlying code.  Tools like
HTML::FormHandler have several features that I think would be cool to
use (Widgets), but I've had enough just getting basic database updates
to work that I can't possibly spend the time now learning how to make
HFH output HTML (I'm sticking with template toolkit).

I will say that I've learned a lot about Catalyst, and feel like I've
just scratched the surface.  We do have a very simple production
application written in Catalyst, and are working on a much more complex
one currently, as we are believers in the perl community and CPAN and
the philosophies associated with them.

Good luck, and keep at it!
Steve