[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst::TraitFor::Model::DBIC::Schema::Replicated connect info

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Jun 8 00:39:25 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Rafael Kitover <rkitover at cpan.org> wrote:

> The ::DBI::Replicated storage, to my knowledge, has only been tested on
> MySQL. If you are using it successfully with Postgres I would love to
> hear the details. Which replication software you are using, and does it
> work as you expect.

I've just started looking into using Replicated.

Slony is used for replication and there's discussion of using pgbouncer for
slave connection pooling.  An existing application that uses the same
database has a DBI subclass that works at the $dbh level to provide
replication, so looking at using that also.

Memcached is track when to force reads to the master after a write.  This is
keyed by user id -- i.e. once a user does a write then they are forced to
the master for an amount of time to let the slaves catch up.

What I'm now wondering about is where I could hook in to determine when a
write to the master happens so I can make all subsequent queries also go to
the master and to set a flag in memcached for other processes to detect.

But, this is a discussion that should be on the DBIC list.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org