[Catalyst] Catalyst::Plugin::Prototype: current state?

Ovid publiustemp-catalyst at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 16:02:16 GMT 2010

----- Original Message ----
> From: Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish at planet.nl>
>
> You might want to have a more detailed look at
Catalyst::Plugin::AutoCRUD to
> discover how something similar is being
done with datagrid lists using Ext
> Js.

And it looks absolutely lovely and works great but I have three problems with it.

1.  It breaks my app badly.

It states "If you already have a Catalyst app with DBIx::Class models configured", you only have to add AutoCRUD to the app config. When I go to localhost:3000/autocrud, it works great.  When I go to localhost:3000, it breaks with:

    You can connect to your server at http://curtis-poes-computer-3.local:3000
    [warn] Calling $c->view() will return a random view unless you specify one of:
    [warn] * $c->config(default_view => "the name of the default view to use")
    [warn] * $c->stash->{current_view} # the name of the view to use for this request
    [warn] * $c->stash->{current_view_instance} # the instance of the view to use for this request
    [warn] NB: in version 5.81, the "random" behavior will not work at all.
    [error] Caught exception in Veure::View::AutoCRUD::JSON->process "must provide object to convert at /Library/Perl/5.10.1/Catalyst/View/JSON.pm line 44"

I can't tell why from the docs.  This is low priority for me, so I stopped using it as I don't (yet) need this feature.

2.  It also states "No two columns in a given table may have the same FK constraint".

That breaks a particular use case I have.

3.  It's not clear from the docs (to me) how to restrict access.

I'm using Catalyst::Controller::ActionRole and a custom role to ensure that certain urls can only be accessed by those with admin privileges.  I can't tell how to hook this into AutoCRUD. I suppose I could write a custom subclass of the plugin, so this is the least of my issues.

Cheers,
Ovid
--
Buy the book - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/