[Catalyst] Catalyst in Ubuntu?

Matija Grabnar matija at serverflow.com
Sun Mar 21 18:33:54 GMT 2010

Denny wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 19:05 +0100, Matija Grabnar wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I noticed that Ubuntu server seems to lag seriously behind the
>> Catalyst packages I see on Debian unstable
>>

> Well yes.  Debian unstable isn't generally considered suitable for
> production servers - there's a clue in the name.

I realize that. However, if we think that the latest Catalyst is stable
enough, now is the time to act. A month from now will be definitely too
late.
> Is there a reason you'd rather not install Catalyst from CPAN?

Two reasons:

The more important one is that whatever is in Lucid when it is released,
will be there as default install for several years more - that is what
LTS means. Advising everybody "oh, if you've got Ubuntu LTS, just scrape
Catalyst off and install from CPAN" is a bad idea.

The less important reason is that is vastly easier to install Catalyst
from aptitude than it is directly from CPAN. Particularly if I want it
to update when critical fixes (or other upgrades) come through.