[Catalyst] Catalyst::Plugin::Prototype: current state?

Charlie Garrison garrison at zeta.org.au
Mon Mar 22 13:08:45 GMT 2010

Good morning,

Thanks for the reply, and that means much of my previous message
can be ignored.

On 22/03/10 at 12:28 PM -0000, Oliver Gorwits
<oliver.gorwits at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>On 22/03/2010 11:32, Charlie Garrison wrote:
>> What part of AutoCRUD is accessed outside the /autocrud path?
>
>You might be misunderstanding how AutoCRUD works. The "/autocrud"
>base is just a default - you can set this to something else or even
>"". That means I cannot tell you what paths to protect, you need to
>work it out for yourself, although they will be self-contained.

The "self-contained" part is what I really wanted to know. I'm
aware the base can change to something else; I'm fine with that.

>If you want to control access on a per-table basis, then your ACLs
>are based on path parts which are constructed on the fly from your
>DB schema and table names, and there is a risk you will get it
>wrong. It's not even easy for me to document, because schema and
>table names are not transposed literally into the path.

Thanks, but I'm just looking for a shotgun (all or nothing) approach.

>I think you're a little wide of the mark here. There are many CRUD
>solutions for Catalyst/DBIC, each with strengths and weaknesses. As
>t0m put it very well in another thread:
>
>"AutoCRUD is very simple and easy to use, works like a charm and
>also gives you absolutely no configurability."

The easy to use part is why I chose it. I wanted something easy
for my customers to use, and easy for me to implement. And
AutoCRUD meets those criteria *very* well.

>If you want tight control over how your CRUD works then build the
>CRUD yourself using one of the other frameworks[1]. Please don't
>criticize AutoCRUD for not addressing a given feature - there are
>any number of use cases where the plugin is perfectly adequate.

Sorry, it was not meant as a criticism. Apologies if it came
across that way. It was my confusion on what the target audience
for it is. I honestly don't see the benefit as a 'developers
tool'. That is only my opinion. I do see great benefit for
end-users though. I can see lots of work has gone into AutoCRUD
it's great for what it does.

So, apologies if I wasn't clear; it's really been "one of those
days". I like AutoCRUD; I just want to make sure I'm using it
the right way. And there seemed to be conflicting information
which just confused me.

Thanks again for your reply, hopefully I've cleared up why I
made my comments.

Charlie

--
    Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison at zeta.org.au>
    〠 PO Box 141, Windsor, NSW 2756, Australia

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt