[Catalyst] Slow Makefile.PL

Wade Stuart wbs at grepit.net
Tue Mar 23 21:52:36 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Ovid <publiustemp-catalyst at yahoo.com>wrote:

> [...]
Beyond filevalt, macbook(pro)s also have a pretty bad track record of
trashing drives (after the intel changeover mac sleep writes RAM to disk
before the drive spins down -- and before many users put their laptops in
bags and start walking).   This trashed drive can present as random long io
blocking for weeks or months before the drive fails.
=3D0 is
an old thread about the issue.
http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html is the fix I
run my macs with -- one caveat is that if the computer runs completely out
of battery it in effect does a hard boot.  The other option is to wait (up
to 2 minutes) for RAM to write to disk and the sleep light to slow blink
before moving your lappy;  I am just too impatient.