[Catalyst] Bareword "catalyst" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at Makefile.PL line 90.

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Thu May 6 20:13:25 GMT 2010

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 02:57:10PM +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install a Catalyst-based app under Debian which has Perl 5.10.0 installed.
> I've installed the latest versions of CPAN, CPANPLUS, ExtUtils::MakeMaker, Module::Install, Module::Build and local::lib using cpan.
>
> Then I tried to run perl Makefile.PL because I was hoping that it will show me the missing Perl modules:

Did you do this properly by building a tarball with 'make dist' ? If so, then
inc/Module/Install.pm and inc/Module/Install/Catalyst.pm should already exist
in the unpacked tarball, so there was no need to install either.

If you're making a checkout and pretending that's an installation source,
then you're basically installing from a development environment - at which
point, shockingly enough, you need Catalyst::Devel.

But don't do that for a build server. make a dist and do it properly.
(ironically, the catalyst; line in your Makefile.PL is why a dist works well :)

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/

Email me now on mst (at) shadowcat.co.uk and let's chat about how our Catalyst