[Catalyst] Handling long-running processes (was Re: Logging is not immediate)

Charlie Garrison garrison at zeta.org.au
Wed Oct 20 01:22:44 GMT 2010

Good afternoon,

On 20/10/10 at 11:48 AM +1100, Toby Corkindale
<toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au> wrote:

>I still haven't played with Comet-style server-push much. Anyone else using it?

I didn't spend much time looking at comet, but I have been
looking into BOSH and have determined it will work for us. It
depends on XMPP though (which we were already doing) so it may
not be the best fit. Since we've already got XMPP we chose to
use BOSH for pushing page updates to users. Out Cat app (or
model within Cat) is just an XMPP client (or will be when I
finish that part of project). Have a look at Strophe for
javascript implementation of BOSH; makes the whole thing pretty easy.

Note, XMPP is not just for chat; it's great for all sorts of
live/push updates.

Charlie

--
    Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison at zeta.org.au>