[Catalyst] Design/architecture question -- search-results with a modify-search-field

will trillich will.trillich at serensoft.com
Sun Sep 19 18:57:56 GMT 2010

Here's a high-level situation we're wrestling with:

/item/list =3D> show all, with paging
/item/search =3D> display search form, or use list.tt2 template for result
display, with paging
Of course, that approach right there may be causing some of our headache...
:)

But that part is all working fine and dandy.

The question is, what's an elegant way to put one quick search field on the
list.tt2 template
to tweak the cached/existing search (or to tweak the list-all)? In this case
it's a category
of /item, and that category field is also on the dozen-field form as well.
Kind of like when
doing a google search and switching between images and news and videos and
maps.

What's best? Have the list.tt2 category-form action point to an
/item/category method
and then forward to /list? Have the list.tt2 category-form action point to
/item/search
and fill out a subset of parameters? Nothing we've tried feels clean,
certainly not DRY.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks!