[Catalyst] Re: General API question: REST + SOAP

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Thu Apr 7 03:16:42 GMT 2011

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:

> This is a very bad idea. No matter what problem you have,
> a custom HTTP header is very nearly certainly the wrong solution.
> For API versioning it definitely is.

My understanding of REST, at least, is that versioning should be done by
specifying different Accept and Content-Type headers, like
x-application/x-myapp-auction-item-v1.

This makes sense with REST, since the URI for a thing should always stay
the same, but it's representation can vary. The API version is part of
that representation.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)