[Catalyst] server memory usage

John M. Dlugosz wxju46gefd at snkmail.com
Tue Apr 12 10:58:38 GMT 2011

On 4/11/2011 8:54 AM, Jorge Gonzalez jorge.gonzalez-at-daikon.es |Catalyst/Allow to home|
wrote:
> You can be assured that it's being done that way. Certainly all modern operating systems
> do Copy-On-Write on memory pages, which means that several processes with a common set
> of code will share much of it.  This is not being done by Apache/fastcgi/Catalyst, but
> by the very operating system itself.

I don't think so.  If two different Perl processes are started up, and each loads modules
and loads data, they will be writing all that to separate pages.

Rather, it needs to load all the stuff and _then_ fork, so that the stuff is identical and
shared.

Thanks for the pointer to the "top" command; I'll read up on it.