[Catalyst] Validation of entered content

John M. Dlugosz wxju46gefd at snkmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:26:51 GMT 2011

On 4/11/2011 10:25 AM, Peter Edwards peter-at-dragonstaff.co.uk |Catalyst/Allow to home|
wrote:
> I've used this before - perhaps it will work for you:
>>> http://ckeditor.com/

That looks interesting, but digging through the documentation it seems that its native
output format is XHTML, and although it mentions that plugin providers _could_ provide
processors for BBCode etc. it doesn't link to any page of available plugins, nor do I see
that on their site.

I'm convinced that as a first step I should make the user-supplied content be stored in
some other format.  Then, replacing the textarea with a fancy WYSIWYG editor would be an
optional step, and I would like that to be invisible to the app.  So, the GUI editor
should populate the POSTed data with the same kind of markup that I would ask the user to
type directly.

Of course, I suppose the Catalyst way would be to allow any kind of markup as long as
there's an adapter for it.  The abstractions I've seen already in CPAN spit out whole HTML
files with header and body, not fragments.  And I'm not terribly interested in building
something like that right now.  I will however keep the decision abstracted and isolated
in the code.