[Catalyst] Loading modules in Apache parent under mod_perl

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Aug 19 05:58:55 GMT 2011

Under mod_perl I use "PerlLoadModule Foo" in the Apache config file to load
the Catalyst app "Foo".

At one point in time it was common with mod_perl to preload modules using a
"startup.pl" file.  The idea, IIRC, was to preload modules in the parent so
they are shared when the parent Apache process forks.  I'm wondering if
there is any benefit to this when running a Catalyst app.

If I look at the parent Apache process (the one owned by "root") using lsof
I see all the .so files for Perl modules my app uses (that have binary
components), so that would indicate to me that modules are indeed loaded
into the parent.  And if I add "warn owner $< and $>\n" to modules it will
show UID 0, for the root user upon Apache start.

So, is there any reason to use startup.pl to "preload" modules with mod_perl
and Catalyst?

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org