[Catalyst] post-deployment custom fields in application

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:16:35 GMT 2011

On 22 December 2011 19:25, bill hauck <wbhauck at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Alexander, thanks for the reply.  However, I should have been more specific in my need.
>
> I'd like the custom fields to be available for calculations.  For instance, custom fields for the project table might include dates for reviews or expected and actual delivery dates from a supplier.  They could be used to calculate the difference between the promise and delivery.  I'd like the database to perform the calculations instead of the application.

Entity-Attribute-Value tables are what you need for this then :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2%80%93attribute%E2%80%93value_model

pretty simple to implement in dbix-class, add in a couple of custom
relations (using functions to specify join logic) and robert's your
mothers brother :)

Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk