[Catalyst] source of 'Definitive Guide To Catalyst' code mentioned in the Apress book itself

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Tue Feb 1 21:17:52 GMT 2011

Hello, Devin,

Just to complete the story as you will have seen Kieren's post ...

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 12:22:56 -0700
Devin Austin <devin.austin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Anne Wainwright
> <anotheranne at fables.co.za>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can't find on the Apress site the code referred to in the sidebar
> > on p.84 of the book.
> >
> > " All the code in this chapter is available in a git repository
> > downloadable from the Source Code area of the Apress website...."
> >
> > Well, there is a zip file of code but this is not what I was
> > expecting. Did this not materialise or did it get put somewhere
> > else?
> >
> > Thanks for a pointer.
> >
> > Anne

> > Searchable archive:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/
> > Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/
> >

> Well, there is a zip file of code but this is not what I was
> expecting.
>

> Can you detail what you were expecting? Also, please give a link to
> where the book says the code is (I don't have my copy readily
> available).

The full text is.

<start quote>
All of the code in this chapter is available in a git repository
downloadable from the Source Code Area of the Apress website
(http://www.apress.com). Each piece of code in the chapter is presented
in an adaptation of the unified diff format. Each section of code
starts with a commit message and the filename relative to the
application root in the first two lines as follows.

# commitmsg: initial external translator object and test
  # lib/LolCatalyst/Lite/Translator.pm.

When we write completely new code, it looks like all the other code
presented in this book. However, if we modify existing code, the line
starts with a (+) sign if it's a new line, or it starts with a minus
(-) sign if it's code to be deleted from the existing code. New lines
of code are also presented in bold, and lines for deletion are grayed
out to clarify this, so that a block of modified code will look like
this within the chapter.

# commitmsg: move Translate to be Translator
#  lib/LolCatalyst/Lite/Controller/Root.pm
-	result => $c->model('Translate')->translate($lol),
+	result => $c->model('Translator')->translate($lol),
<end quote>

I understood that first paragraph to mean that as the code is
changed in progression to the final result that it will be shown at
each step of the way in the downloadable files. It _is_ one paragraph
talking about downloadable files, and it mentions 'each piece' of code.

The rest of the text illustrates clearly how text appears in the pages
of the book proper and is not related to the downloadable files issue.

So, what I was expecting was to see file changes that are maybe to me
not necessarily clearly illustrated in the book (well, I get errors at a
point where I become confused). The files I saw in the zip do not
comply with the method laid out in the first paragraph, they are
probably the final files as you might have them at the end of the
chapter.

Maybe I am expecting too much, I'm following the path from Kieren and
will see where that leads.

thanks a lot for the input.
Anne