[Catalyst] Re: Opinions on static::simple - with caching

Toby Corkindale toby at dryft.net
Wed Feb 2 02:06:08 GMT 2011

On 2 February 2011 00:08, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:
> * Toby Corkindale <toby at dryft.net> [2011-02-01 03:25]:
>> The case that I find having the headers enabled is as follows:
>>
>> Front end load-balancing proxies, talking to app servers
>> running starman, running catalyst apps.
>> If you use Static::Simple, this does make the pipeline
>> configuration nice and simple.
>> I like simplicity.
>> If you enable caching on your static content, then your
>> reverse-proxies at the front will cache things, and take the
>> load of static content off Catalyst at the back.
>>
>> I'd like to see it as an option on Static::Simple; I could mod
>> that and send a patch over if you liked?
>
> You may be interested in my setup:
> http://blogs.perl.org/users/aristotle/2011/01/some-nifty-things-you-can-do-with-catalyst-on-plack.html

Thanks - that's a really good example setup.

How do you find Plack at serving static files (via Middleware::Static
/ App::Static)? Compared to Static::Simple, and compared to native
HTTPD. I guess it sits in between the two in terms of performance, but
wondered how much of an improvement it was?

I might have to borrow the bit about auto-extending expiry times for
versioned static files :)

cheers,
Toby