[Catalyst] Help Deploying on mod-fcgi Rather than mod_fastcgi

Mark Hughes mhughes at law.du.edu
Sun Feb 13 18:24:41 GMT 2011

I am trying to work through deployng a Catalyst app on an apache2 server
with mod_fcgi installed.  I don't know what I am doing, and I have spent
an embarrassingly long time accomplishing nothing.

The app runs okay when I run the standalone myapp_server.pl on the
server.  Requests from sitename:3000 generate charming debug messages
and pages appear in the browser -- just as when I run the app locally.

The trouble is that I cannot get myapp_fastcgi.pl to serve pages.  When
I try to use myapp_fastcgi.pl, the standard debug status messages
appear, followed by this:

[info] sumo powered by Catalyst 5.80031
FastCGI: manager (pid 14119): initialized
FastCGI: manager (pid 14119): server (pid 14120) started
FastCGI: server (pid 14120): initialized

Seems fine.  But requests result only in 404 errors.

I am stumped and out of things to try.

I have looked at a large number of pages on deploying Catalyst apps,
including the wiki, advent calendar (several days),
Catalyst::Engine::FastCGI docs (all three modes), and tried most of
them.  The only thing I have really discovered is that most of the
instructions seem to be for mod_fastcgi rather than mod_fcgi.  And most
of what I have found and tried prevent apache from starting.  (I think
because mod_fcgi breaks on ExternalServer directives.)

The most promising, because it deals specifically with mod_fcgid, might
be
http://blog.hjksolutions.com/articles/2007/07/19/catalyst-deployment-with-apache-2-and-mod_fcgid
but I don't understand even the basics of how it works.  It doesn't seem
to tell anything to listen anywhere, and I don't know how to
successfully start myapp_fastcgi.pl without telling it to listen someplace.

Any suggestions would help.  Thanks.