[Catalyst] Zeus and Catalyst

Duncan Garland Duncan.Garland at motortrak.com
Mon Jan 10 22:05:45 GMT 2011

Hi,

Are there any known problems using two serving running Zeus with a load balancer, fastcgi, Catalyst and Oracle 10.2 on Red Hat?

Our servers lock up occasionally. Half a dozen times a day, which is often enough to cause real embarassment. We restart them by killing the fastcgi process.

The symptom is that something causes Catalyst to start returning zero length pages.

eg

77.242.199.1 - - [10/Jan/2011:20:22:22 +0000] "GET /fcgi/catalyst/xxxx/script/xxxx_fastcgi.pl/javascript/calculation_accept HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "http://www.xxxx.co.uk/fcgi/catalyst/xxxx/script/xxxx_fastcgi.pl/home" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)"

Half a dozen calls return this, then the server locks up completely until the process is killed.

We can't trace the problem to a particular action, or find any error messages.

It doesn't happen on our other servers which don't have load balancers. One of the first things we did was to force the load balancer to always use the same server. That didn't help.

Could it be jumping out of the error handling and actually returning zero content? I can't see where.

Is there a module dependency which would cause this?

Is it Zeus or fastcgi?

This is the first time we've tried to implement Catalyst and so it's getting the blame, probably unjustly. I'm getting a lot of stick as well!

All the best.

Duncan