[Catalyst] Zeus and Catalyst

Duncan Garland Duncan.Garland at motortrak.com
Fri Jan 14 13:31:00 GMT 2011

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Tomas Doran [mailto:bobtfish at bobtfish.net]
Sent: 14 January 2011 13:03
To: The elegant MVC web framework
Subject: Re: [Catalyst] Zeus and Catalyst

On 14 Jan 2011, at 11:02, Duncan Garland wrote:
> However, the whole mode of operation of the system has changed and
> there has been a performance hit.
>
> When a request arrives, we get multiple catalyst processes spawned.
> These hang around for a while, handle the request and die within a
> couple of minutes. When the next request arrives, the processes have
> to be started up again.

This is your web server killing them off..

> That's analogous to cgi operation and not what we had before. I
> thought that fastcgi processes were supposed to handle requests in a
> loop and I was expecting at least one of the processes to persistent
> for a significant period of time (eg 30 minutes).
>
> Is this correct operation?

It is correct operation, but I'd suggest your web server config needs
tweaking to significantly increase the interval between killing off
processes.

Alternately (and more recommended), would be to run the fastcgi in
'external' mode, so that you start your myapp_fastcgi.pl entirely
independently from the web server, and it manages the processes,
rather than your web server being able to start and stop the
application whenever it likes.

Cheers
t0m