[Catalyst] Job Queue recommendation

Cosimo Streppone cosimo at streppone.it
Sat Jan 22 07:41:10 GMT 2011

In data 22 gennaio 2011 alle ore 07:13:49, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org>
ha scritto:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 7:30 AM, Alexander Hartmaier <
> alexander.hartmaier at t-systems.at> wrote:
>
>> t0m created CatalystX::JobServer which is currently only available on
>> github:
>> https://github.com/bobtfish/CatalystX-JobServer
>
> So, venturing a bit off topic, anyone have suggestions on managing worker
> ("consumer") processes?
>
> There seems to be two common approaches. One is to just start up a bunch
> of worker processes independently (managed like any other daemon)
> killing and starting more as needed.

For some time I used this approach, with a "fake" init
script like '/etc/init.d/worker' that would start one of them,
so I could run it multiple times to spawn more workers.

A munin plugin monitored the number of active workers,
and if it detected less than normal, it would spawn a new
one.

I thought that'd be neat, then I changed my mind.
It worked just fine, but in the end I didn't like
mixing munin plugins with application-related stuff.

--
Cosimo