[Catalyst] Users of search_extra feature - I need to hear from you.

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Mon Jul 18 15:57:30 GMT 2011

On 18 Jul 2011, at 16:42, Stephen Clouse wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net>
> wrote:
> Is anyone actually using the 'search_extra' feature (as documented
> here: http://search.cpan.org/~bobtfish/Catalyst-Runtime-5.80032/lib/Catalyst.pm#$c-%3Elocate_components%28_$setup_component_config_%29)
>
> I don't see how it's useful to anyone in its current form, and some
> of the refactoring work being done in a branch is being made much
> harder due to it's existence.
>
> If you're using this feature in a real application, please shout at
> me!!
>
> We *were* using it, but found that a simpler (and more flexible)
> method is just to wrap locate_components in our app class.  (Hint
> for future doc patch?)

Oh, interesting.

Would it be possible for you to show some code for how you were using
it, and how you now wrap locate_components?

Just interested so that we can keep it / both methods working, or if
we have to kill the former, write a good guide for how to change over
to the new method.

> I assume that the stuff from Module::Pluggable will still be
> available, because we *are* using except.  Although that could be
> replicated in a locate_components wrapper as well.

Yes, yes it will. There is no intention to touch any of that stuff :)

Cheers
t0m