[Catalyst] Best "form" library?

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:18:52 GMT 2011

From: "Devin Austin" <devin.austin at gmail.com>

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Roger Horne <roger at hrothgar.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 06 March 2011 20:52:04 Devin Austin wrote:
>>
>> > FormFu is pretty awful in my opinion.  Rose::HTML stuff isn't
>> > much better.
>>
>> As an amateur I would be interested to know why.
>>
>> When I started learning about Catalyst about a year ago, the
>> Tutorial at
>>
>> http://search.cpan.org/~zarquon/Catalyst-Manual-5.8005/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/09_AdvancedCRUD.pod
>> only described FormFu and so I used it. For the trivial stuff I
>> deal with it works (most of the time) so I have not tried any of
>> the others. (If it ain't broke ... :-)
>>
>> r.
> FormFu doesn't make it easy to do a lot of things.  Things like modifying
> the form after it's been created aren't very easy, and there were quite a

After you get the $form object you can do anything you like with it. Change the existing fields, add new fields... what have you tried to do that was difficult to do?

> few instances I had to add these sort of ludicrous call backs (recommended
> in the documentation) to get the functionality I wanted (populate a select
> box from the db, etc.)

You can do this directly in the configuration file, without even needing to write Perl code, by adding a <model_config> hash as a key of the wanted select item, and under it you can specify the resultset, the columns that need to be selected, if the labels need to be localized, the conditions for searching, the aditional options for ordering the results, for selecting unique values only, for selecting only a certain number of records and so on.

Octavian