[Catalyst] Unicode::Encoding - utf8 "\xBA" does not map to Unicode

ryan lauterbach brewsterbear at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 23:50:22 GMT 2011

Hi,

I've read some threads about unicode, utf8 and query parameters but I
don't understand it enough to fix on my own, so apologies for beating
a dead horse.

When a URL contains a utf8 character in the query string such as
?first_name=K%E9vyn  (where %E9 is é, latin small e with acute),
Unicode::Encoding barfs with  utf8 "\xE9" does not map to Unicode.

Now I believe \xE9 is Perl's internal representation of unicode, so it
is already decoded by the time Unicode::Encoding::prepare_uploads is
invoked.  However  Encode::is_utf8( $_ ) is not working or not
appropriate in this instance and $enc->decode() then fails trying to
decode \xE9.

I have removed Unicode::Encoding from my app for the time being.  It
seems this is the base case for unicode in catalyst so I would think
I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.  All modules are up to date
as of tdoay.

Thanks for any help!