[Catalyst] Sending Email from Page?

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 06:20:28 GMT 2011

From: "John M. Dlugosz" <wxju46gefd at snkmail.com>
> On 3/21/2011 2:41 PM, Octavian Rasnita orasnita-at-gmail.com
> |Catalyst/Allow to home| wrote:
>>
>> If you want this, it is more simple, because you can try to send the
>> message directly, but if the message is not sent, your page visitors will
>> be able to read that a certain message was not sent, but they won't be
>> able to do anything to send it, unless they try again, by filling again a
>> subscription form or something like that.
>>
> So don't tell them it wasn't sent; just drop it on the floor instead,
> because it would just confuse them?
>
> I'm not expecting any errors once the deployment is shaken-out, but my
> feedback message states that it was not sent and suggests using the mailto
> link instead (and hyperlinks it within the message).  And the form is
> still shown filled out, so the person can copy/paste his content to a file
> to save, rather than losing it.

This is the job of a... job queue. It tries to send the message or execute
another task you give it, and if it can't execute it, it marks it as
not-executed and you will be able to see later the errors found. This way
you can put it to try for more times to do that job automaticly.

But as I said, if you have the mail server running on the same server and if
you just need to send a single message, you don't need a job queue. If you
need to send thousands of messages after you have made a selection of the
recipients from a database, it might take less time to insert a few
thousands records in a database than to send those messages directly.

So sending the messages directly is not very scalable.

Octavian