[Catalyst] Engine problems: "Wide character in syswrite" ?

John M. Dlugosz wxju46gefd at snkmail.com
Tue Mar 22 13:22:45 GMT 2011

"Caught exception in engine "Wide character in syswrite at
/usr/share/perl5/Catalyst/Engine.pm line 675"

When I had a literal U+2032 (a U.S. "feet" measurement mark) in my tt file, Catalyst
didn't mind one bit.  I moved that particular content into a model, and now it's expanded
into the template rather than being part of the template's own source.  But Catalyst
shouldn't know the difference, right?

Now when I run, I get this error.  Removing this one character from the data makes it go away.

What's the deal here?