[Catalyst] REST-like url question

Alejandro Imass alejandro.imass at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:32:02 GMT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:50 PM, John M. Dlugosz <wxju46gefd at snkmail.com> wrote:

>> Parameters and stuff are all not that important if the parameters are
>> conditions / extra information needed to retrieve/update the resource.
>> In your case I don't think it makes much difference, except for the
>> way you will handle your parameters in the controllers. The important
>> ideas about REST URLs is that they do not contain verbs but always
>> point to a resource. Resources  are nouns and are usually used plural
>> for collections and singular for a silgle resource. Parameters are
>> fine IMHO and even encouraged so long as the params are not
>> verbs of course ;-)
>>

> I think the words on the URL matter, not as pure parameters, but in matching
> the "chained" actions of your design.

Yeah, let me re-phrase. The REST URLs must look more like paths on a
drive rather than an API. The URL parameters can be used freely (and
must be used in many cases) as extra information for the GET request.
For example, for filtering a collection, for conditioning the result,
the presentation and in general for _conditioning_ the GET.